Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Rough Couple of Days
So, it turns out that I will be blind in my right eye, but my parents were actually relieved to hear that. See, I went to the optomitrist and she saw some serious injury in my good eye, but thought that it was pre-existing since a cataract had already formed off to the side (it probably should not be a problem). The concern was that such symptons can be emblematic of other serious health problems such as high blood pressure, hemophilia, or certain types of cancer. High blood pressure was ruled out and we were immediately sent off to get a battery of tests done the same day (Wed.). However, come Thursday the vet refused to give test results over the phone so Daddy had to rush to the vet (in a bit of a panic) to find out what was going on. Fortunately, the "no results over the phone" is a policy (in no way due to HIPPA) and it turns out that my results were normal. There is still a danger that I could go blind in my good eye since there is a lot of blood in it, but the dogtomitrist said that she would give a treatment of steroids (the good stuff) to try to clear out my eye. I am now on orders not to shake my head or play until the blood has been relieved from my eye and my retina is no longer under strain. My parents are extremely relieved that there was nothing more serious and, while they are concerned about my eye, they think that based on my adjusting to one eye that I would be just fine without any sight. After all, I'm a tough pug...and my parents promise to help me whenever I need it.

Snarf everydoggy later,
/s/ Winston, the Grand Duke of Pugsworth

15 comments:

L said...

Awww, Winston!!!! I am glad you are okay, but it's awful that you lost the sight in your right eye because of some big dog at the dog park. I be praying to the puggy Gods that you keep the sight in your left. If you do go blind though, I have every confidence that you will be okay. I've seen a lot of pugs at meetups who have gone blind, and they do really well!

Peanut said...

Well that sucks but hopefully you can get the Good eye fixed all up

Page said...

Winston, I'm so sorry to hear about your eye going blind. My little pug Sela doesn't have a left eye, and she does just great. We adopted her without the eye, so we're not sure if she was born that way or injured. The name Sela is actually a female pirate from the 400's in Norway...my husband loves pirate stuff so a one-eyed pug seemed perfect! Just think how many treats you will get from the humans feeling sorry for you! Feel better soon!

Christine & Giggs said...

I'm so sorry about your eye Winston! We'll be sending good vibes your way to help heal the other eye.

Goodboy Norman Featherstone said...

Oh jeez Winston, I'm so sorry to hear this. Make sure you stay calm for a couple days so you don't do any damage to that good eye. We don't want to have to get you a seeing eye dog!

Anonymous said...

One blind eye or not, you are still absolutely adorable. Feel well!

Duke and Gidget said...

Winston, we are so sorry to hear that you lost your sight in your right eye. We are so angry at that big dog that we could just scream! We know you're a tough guy though, and we're sure you will be OK once your left eye heals up. Please know that we are all thinking about you over here, and we just know that we will see you back at the pug meetups in no time. Get well soon buddy.

~Pug Hugs~
Duke & Gidget

Oscar said...

Winston,

I am really sorry to hear about your eye. I am glad that it is not a more serious underlying problem. I hope that you do not lose your sight in your other eye. As a fellow pug, I must say that this is an excellent opportunity to use this to your advantage. Think of all the treats and attention you will get. Now are the owners of the dog who attacked you doing anything for you? I hope you get better!

Michelle said...

Wiston that sucks! I can't believe one crappy visit to the dog park did this. Maggie says to tell you that even with this "deformity" she still only has eyes for you.

Anonymous said...

With or without sight, you will rule the world Winston.

Pughugs

Panda and her parents.

Pugsley, Buster, Cricket & Daisy said...

Sorry to hear about your eye. We still keeping our paws crossed for you.

Pugsley, Buster, Cricket and Daisy Mae

Jen and Suki said...

Oh Winston! I'm so sorry to hear about your eye. I hope the other one gets better really soon. I hope the big dog's parents are helping yours out cause I imagine it's no fun going to the V.E.T. all the time (for you OR them!).

Dang. Feel better soon, bud! The PIA needs its leader happy and healthy.

pugfreak said...

Keep up the good spirits Winston and I will be sending all my positive energy your way for left eye. Peace Brother!

Clover said...

Aw, Winston, I am sorry to hear about your eye. I hope it isn't hurting you, and that your other eye gets better quickly. I'll be thinking about you and sending pug hugs your way.

Love Clover xo

Nan and B.A.G.S. the pug said...

awww my little buttercup sexy puggy friend. I am so sorry to hear about your condition and I think your mummy and daddy should sue the arse off the doggy that did that to you.

However, just like another blogger said, sight or no you are still the AWESOME WINSTON that we know and lovith greatly. Aine